WinRAR is a program that compresses files so that they take up less space on your hard disk. It supports three compression formats, ZIP, RAR, and the new RAR5 format; introduced with this release, RAR5 offers a better compression rate.
WinRAR gives you the option of protecting the compressed file with a password using a 256-bit AES encryption algorithm. Perfect for hiding your files from prying eyes!
The app can also create self-extracting files, or files that are decompressed automatically with a double-click, as well as including improved features for repairing damaged files.
With regard to the decompression functions, WinRAR supports 15 different formats : RAR, ZIP, 7-Zip, ACE, ARJ, BZ2, CAB, GZip, ISO, JAR, LHZ, TAR, UUE, XZ, and Z.
The options menu is very detailed and lets you configure every aspect of the program. It’s definitely useful for the most demanding users, but it might end up confusing those who are less experienced.
Open and create compressed files? A no-brainer…
The main functions of WinRAR are all easily accessible from the top bar of the interface: Wizard, Virus Scan, features to add/remove files, and to create self-extracting files.
To open a compressed file, just right click on the file, click Extract File and then select the destination folder. You can directly execute WinRAR and then once inside the program, you double click on the file you want to decompress. Extracting the files can be made even more simple by using the wizard.
To create a compressed file, however, you can click with the right mouse button and select New/WinRAR Archive, then right-click on the file you want to compress and select Add to archive. To create a file that decompresses itself, simply click on self-extracting on the WinRAR interface and click OK.
WinRAR integrates with Windows Explorer, and can carry out compression/ decompression of files with just one click from the context menu.
The design of the program – obsolete and outdated – has not been altered for this latest version.
Features of WinRAR
- Creates smaller archives, saves disk space, transmission cost and valuable working time.
- Complete support for RAR (WinRAR native conversion format) and ZIP archives, and unpacking of ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, EXE, 7z, Z, and xz archives.
- Ideal for sending data through web.
- Ideal for multimedia files, it automatically recognizes and selects best compression method.
- Allows you to split archives into separate volumes easily making it possible to save them into different disks.
- Multi threaded compression.
- Support for advanced NTFS file system options and Unicode in file names.
- Data redundancy is provided via recovery records and recovery volumes, allowing reconstruction of damaged archives.
WinRAR 5.50 setup download